It is Rocket Science!
Our students will engage in a Science unit on projectile motion, where they will design, build, and launch straw rockets. Measuring flight time, angle of trajectory, mass, body length, and distance will allow students to determine the optimal conditions for launching a straw rocket the furthest. Students will look to answer the following questions throughout the unit:
- What is common about the trajectory of all projectiles through the air (with only an initial force)?
- How does gravity affect the trajectory?
- How does the angle affect the trajectory?
- What is the maximum height of a given projectile? Where in the path does it reach its maximum height?
- How can I predict where a rocket will land?